Sunday, October 25, 2015

Week 1

I am really feeling the gift of tongues while learning Cantonese.I would not be learning this quickly without the Lord's help. You are so right, Grandpa, about line upon line. I was very stressed and exhausted Saturday, but then I remembered my mission motto: Be calm and have joy! My setting apart said: Have courage and be kind! Jessica reminded me of this in her wishes to me at my farewell party. It's not a race to learn, and I'm actually learning a lot. The more I focus on the spirit and my personal study of the scriptures, the more peaceful I am. I just need to be calm and enjoy the language. Learning the tones makes reading the language easy. The top, middle, and bottom tones are like the song "Please, please, please." Then there are just a couple of falling and rising tones in between. Pretty simple. My Chinese name is Waih Jimuhl. I can't put the tones in above the words.

I'm thankful for all the support from family and friends. The MTC food is tasty and has a large selection of healthy. YUM! I also love the peace and the spirit at the MTC. It's unlike anywhere else other than the temple. The zone leaders are inspiring and beautiful. My district is hard working and kind. My companion is a kind, loving, beautiful soul.

Going to the temple is my favorite part so far. I've seen a bunch of missionaries from my BYU ward here. They are just glowing. My branch consists of Hmong (California), Thai, Cambodian, and Cantonese. My district is amazing. I'm getting used to and liking the strict schedule now, to be honest.

I love the thought of turning outward by Elder Bednar and "The Character of Christ." The mission and life in general will be hard, but as we turn outwards and love/serve/focus on others, we become happy. I've also learned that as we lose ourselves in the service of others, that's when we find ourselves. Having hope for the future is important. Don't worry about outcomes, or have doubt that you'll fine the right partner, or get a job. If you are living your life worthily and doing the Lord's will, then you must trust in him and his plan. Then everything will work out.

GOAL: Everyone should go to the temple at least once in the next two months!

Ngoi leihde! (I love you all)
Ngoh ngoi Fukyam (I love the gospel)
Ngoh ngoi gamjeh bei yauh Chyungaause ge Gewuih (I'm thankful for this mission opportunity)
Ngoh Jidouh Yesouh Geduk hiah weutchyuk ge. (I know that Jesus lives)
Fuhng Yesou Geduk ge ming, amun. (in the name of Jesus Christ, amen)
I don't know how do write the tones on the computer, so don't google it!)

Sister Wilcox

No comments:

Post a Comment