Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Week 5

I'm half way through my MTC training! Dec 15 I'm off to Hong Kong!

Life Style
We had Elder Hugo Montoya speak to us in a devotional. It was great. My favorite part was his line, "I teach by the spirit, so be prepared to cry." (Princess Bride reference.) The MTC director of media (Greg Droubay) also came and showed us the Christmas video they will release the end of this month, so keep an eye out for that. I told you that I sing in the MTC choir. It is lead by Brother Eggott, who often directs the Tabernacle Choir. He is such a spiritual giant. The lessons he intertwines into choir practice truly astound me.

Since the second week, every week on Saturdays we teach natives or people who recently served in Hong Kong, mostly members. We give a little lesson and get to know them. They are all very sweet.We give lessons, ask questions and chat, and testify throughout, give a commitment and pray again. It always turns out really well and they say they can feel the spirit in the evaluation papers afterwards. Every successful lesson is because of His help. Heavenly Father's ability to answer prayers and help us develop charity for all those around us (companions, investigators, etc.) is such a blessing and our successes wouldn't be possible without it. We also give lessons about 4 times a week to our teachers as investigators. We have 3 of them. They play characters from their missions that we get to know and reschedule meetings with. It has been a really great experience.

Apparently the only language harder here than Cantonese is Finnish. Yeah...On the positive side the Lord really trusts me to learn Cantonese, LOL. The only food word I've learned so far is "yinyuhk" bacon. I keep using it in sentences and my companion keeps forgetting it all the time. Then I tell her and we laugh. It's so funny. The word for cat is "maau" with a high pitch like you are meowing. I love it. The word for belief is seunyeuhng and the word for goat is saanyeuhng, so that is something to watch out for. It snowed a lot today. It was beautiful, like a winter wonderland. On the way to the temple today the field was white (ready to harvest!). I am already turning into an ice cube. I was not born for cold weather.

I enjoy the BYU Creamery ice cream every Wednesday and Sunday and the BYU mint brownies. They are tasty.

Gospel
To help one another, we must point people towards the Lord. I recommend watching "The First Great Commandment" by Elder Holland. Love = Loyalty; life of devoted discipleship in demonstrating our love for the Lord. Also please watch "The Testament" sometime, if you haven't seen it already. It almost made me cry.

1 Peter 1:7. The trial of your faith is worth more than all else. It builds us into a disciple of Christ, who we need to be. "I sit like a refiner of silver." I think there is a Mormon message for that.

D&C 34:1-4...Darkness comprehendeth it not. We need Christ's grace to purify and perfect us "after all that we can do." 2 Nephi 25:23.

I think one of the things that I really loved learning this week was that of personal scripture study. The scriptures are a perfect book. I personally want to start marking really well and writing all my little testimonies and thoughts near the verses rather than in my journal. I think that makes it so special, being able to turn to a scripture and reading your testimony from the past. It just seems so strengthening and personal. I love the idea.

ngoh gamjeh muih yahtgo yahn waih bongjoh/support. ngoh ngoi leihdeih tuhngmaai yauh houdo faailohk. ligo chyuhngaau gegewui hou yuhnmeige. ngoh gone leihdeihge gathing leibdeih hou yahnchih joi gin.
Do you have the gift of tongues to understand this?
Sister Wilcox

Provo Temple

The sisters in my zone on "stripes day."

No comments:

Post a Comment