Sunday, November 5, 2017

Part 2: Week 9--Halloween fun

I am learning Chinese characters pretty slowly as I type on our computers. I type the pinyin (or the version of Chinese in our alphabet} and the computer changes it to the Chinese character.

Last night I just learned that Sister Tai is my new companion! She is a cantonese/mandarin Temple Square missionary who will be here for 1-2 transfers. I will be with her for 4 weeks until the other sister from Hong Kong comes!

I am so thankful that Grandpa has told me about my LDS heritage and the good examples in my family tree and extended family. I am so excited to discover more about my ancestors and their gospel adventures . What great people have prepared the way before us.

...........

I have loved being able to love and visit an elderly lady Xu Nai Nai from our ward. She is so cute and sweet.

I learned that I must do all I can to serve, get to know, and love my companions, just as we would with our eternal companions. I love my sweet companions. They have so many strengths; there is so much to learn from them. The apostles always say beautiful, positive things about their wives, and recognize them as daughters of God. I want to always have that eternal perspective. I've learned a lot about sacrificing in order to work in harmony and allow the spirit to be with us. I've been pretty harsh about exact obedience, cleanliness, and diligence in the work.. I think now, that being an example is enough; that being at peace and choosing to love one another is more important. And we can all stand to humble ourselves a bit more (that's what we've all learned through this, I think)!

The Halloween FHE was awesome. Our planning and the help of the members all came together. We shared the story of the Tree of Life and the children then held on to the iron rod to knock on doors to get candy. If they let go to knock on the other doors, they would be in scary rooms with black lights and jello grapes (bloody eyeballs to feel). The kids also enjoyed playing in a streamer spider web/ obstacle course (if they let go of the rod, and "got lost"). At the end of the rod, there was a glowing Christmas tree!

We also had face painting, and lots of fun food from the members. It turned out well and there were so many families who brought their nonmember friends (also families)! Some of them are interested in coming to church. It is so special how many referrals we've been getting lately. Exciting things to come.

I am excited for my new companion. I love her so much already! I love all of my roommates; they are so sweet and full of faith. They really enjoy and love their fellow brothers and sisters, which is a great example to me. I'm excited to have a one on one companionship where we can support one another, and grow together. Sometimes it is hard to find balance in a trio, but I am so thankful for the ability to trust the Lord in all things. I have grown a lot and have had a lot of humbling experiences. I love these Chinatown sisters! They are such lovely spirits.

The pictures are of Chinatown,the firefighter station, a part of South Manhattan, getting ready for a Skype lesson with our awesome Zhang 姐妹, the Halloween FHE, and the Brooklyn Bridge again.

爱你们 Ai Nimen !
Will you read Alma 37:38-47 with your family? How can we apply these scriptures to our lives? The Word of God will guide our lives just as the Liahona did in times of old. Look to God and live. What a simple choice! 😊

Alma 5:26 "And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?"

韦姐妹
Sister Wilcox

Chinatown, the fire station, and fountain in lower Manhattan

Our skype screen--click on the photo to see the Chinese writing on the instructions.
The Halloween family home evening
Us standing on the Brooklyn Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment